Winona = Donut Heaven

Know what makes Winona great? Well, a lot of things, but man do we ever have some good donuts. Not just good donuts, but the kind of good that people will write home about, that they will make a special trip for, that they will line up down the sidewalk for. Don’t believe me? Drive down Broadway some Saturday morning at about 8 a.m. and check out the line outside of Bloedow Bakery.

Saveur Magazine, an epicurean authority of global stature, just confirmed what we here in Winona have known for almost 90 years: Bloedow Bakery makes some killer donuts. As in to die for. And they just told the world about it in their March issue, which features a roundup of the 50 best donut shops in the country. And of course Bloedow is in there, because when you’re talking about that kind of lip-smacking heaven, word gets out.

No one really knows how Saveur heard about Winona’s little bakery, though it might have something to do with the fact that Bloedow’s was dubbed the best donut shop in Minnesota last year by CBS affiliate WCCO. In fact, when WCCO polled its followers asking what the best donut shop in the state was, Bloedow’s pummeled the competition with more than twice as many votes as the next runner up. I’d call that a trouncing.

So what IS it about those donuts that makes them so dang good? I just don’t know. I mean, donuts are donuts, right? They have some yeast and some sugar and some frosting and, and… But there is some kind of magic that happens when you bite into one of those things from Bloedow’s. You get teleported to a happy place where the sign posts and flowers and sidewalks are made of sugar and everyone is smiling and little birds made out of sugar are singing and you just lay on the sugar grass and savor every delicious bite…  I know. Snap out of it. But goll darn it if I wouldn’t love one of those sugar comas right now.

To be fair, it’s not all sugar. There is some donut in there too, and I don’t know what they cook those things in (in fact, I think it’s a secret) but sweet lord – the whole thing just melts in your mouth. My personal favorite – the maple long johns, of course. A-mazing. I think I can actually hear myself getting fatter when I eat them, but let’s face it, you shouldn’t go to a donut shop if you’re on a diet.

On Visit Winona’s Facebook page, the question was posed a little while ago – asking people what their favorite Bloedow donut was. Holy smokes. The answers were all over the place, and I found out about varieties I didn’t even know existed. Now, of course, I’m going to have to try them, and pretty soon we’ll need a wheelbarrow to get me around. But I’ll be smiling.

So I put the question to you — why are those donuts so good, and which one is your favorite? Share this blog with your friends, and let’s get a good old fashioned unscientific poll of our own going. In one week I’ll randomly draw from the comments and I’ll pony up for a donut gift certificate – 1 dozen of whatever you want. Let’s talk about donuts…

Donut-shops

Posted in Blog, Uncategorized
15 comments on “Winona = Donut Heaven
  1. Bob Conover says:

Maple long johns. “Resistance is futile.”

2. Mary Nelson says:

Poppyseed Bearclaw

3. Joyce Fort says:

Blueberry filled donut with blueberry filling….to die for!!!

4. Rebecca Wolf says:

I graduated college in 1998 and we still take a yearly trek to Winona and Bloedow’s is usually one of our first stops. My favorite is whipped cream filled with chocolate on top. My husband’s is ANYTHING maple, and our kids like them all. We usually stock up with 2 dozen and say we’re going to freeze them…but honestly? In 14 years, that’s happened twice. They’re usually gone in 4-5 days. 🙂

5. Joyce Fort says:

That was suppose to be blueberry filled with blueberry frosting!

6. Susan J. says:

I love them all (I consider myself an equal opportunity doughnut lover), but I think my favorite would have to be the chocolate frosted cake doughnuts–simple and delicious! As far as what makes them so good, well . . . the only explanation I can think of is magic!

7. Rebecca E. says:

Maple Long John, turns every gloomy day into sunshine and flowers 🙂 MMMmmmmm…..

8. Ann says:

I don’t know why they’re so good, but raised glazed are my favorite!

9. Gloria says:

ooohhh how to decide, long john or glazed long john or glazed. How about one of each.

10. Nancy says:

Glazed-raised–a donut classic.

I haven’t lived in Winona for 33 years, but visit each summer and visit Bloedow’s, specifically. It’s part of the “Winona Experience” for me and for my husband and children–all current Vermonters.

11. Antony Prodzinski says:

Maple Long Johns

12. Kristin Troska says:

Bavarian Cream

shared on facebook

13. Jenna says:

Nothing compares to the maple long johns!

14. Catherine says:

Our Bambenek clan has long paid tribute to Bloedow’s and we don’t discriminate against kinds or flavors; however, maple long johns and chocolate cake donuts are coveted amongst my family spread far and wide. My Uncle must make semi-annual pilgrimages from Ohio with special coolers to bring back greatness to his growing family. These are no ordinary donuts! They aren’t mass-produced in some factory. Those of us who are fortunate to have been brought up on these delectable doughy desserts (appropriate at any hour) understand that you take your chances if you’re not there early enough on Saturday and some donuts are made only on certain days of the week. Bloedow’s is more than a local favorite; it represents a simpler time with flashes of childhood in every bite.

15. Marcus K says:

If you haven’t tried the Peanut Butter and Jelly doughnut… It’s a MUST!