You’re spending a weekend visiting your favorite Winona student – here’s a perfect way to spend the day!
- No morning is a Winona morning without Bloedow’s donuts, but if you want a great omelet, (we recommend the Philly Cheesesteak!), to kick off your day, head to Anacabe’s Little Kitchen in the heart of Goodview, less than one mile out of Winona city limits on West 6th Street.
- Stop at the breathtaking WNB Financial bank downtown to marvel at the Tiffany & Co. Stained Glass, marble, and surprising African Safari Exhibit on the third floor—a tribute to the bank’s founders who were hobbyist game hunters in the 1920s.
- Don’t miss the historic Watkins Heritage Museum & Store. Admission is free and filled with the company’s incredible 150-year-old story. Take home your own pepper, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Enjoy lunch and a view at the Grill at Signatures in the bluffs, just a few miles from Highway 61. The property has dozens of signed memorabilia on the walls for you to check out as well—everything from a signed Elvis Presley yearbook, to a B.B. King guitar and more.
- Please your college student by taking them to Rochester Wholesale Fruits and the new Downtown Meat Market to load up on fresh produce, bulk pastas and quality meat. Hy-Vee, Bluff Country Co-op, and Midtown Foods are also staples for everyday grocery runs.
- Drop your student back off at the dorms, or bring them along, and head to Prairie Island Campground where you can rent watercraft to explore the backwaters of the Mississippi River, with or without a guide. (Summer)
- Take advantage of the winter scenery in Winona and rent fat bikes or snowshoes from Adventure Cycle and Ski downtown, get recommendations on the best trails, and experience the beauty of the snowy bluffs. (Winter)
- Dinner at Blooming Grounds Coffee House downtown is a relaxed affair, with small plates for sharing, artisan pizzas, draft and bottled beers, and a great selection of wines.
- Walk over to Winona’s brew pub and sip on a fresh craft beer at Island City Brewing Company. Depending on the night, you could participate in rowdy trivia, or kick back and listen to live music.
- Not quite ready to retire to your bed for the evening? Stop by Ed’s No Name Bar to enjoy a craft cocktail and additional live entertainment.